Blood Orange Turmeric Tonic
Sparkling Blood Orange Golden Tonic
This sparkling non-alcoholic, turmeric tonic is sweet, tangy, refreshing, relaxing, and nourishing. With each sip you'll feel the sweet serenity of the ashwagandha and the nourishment of the turmeric. This is a great way to get a potent dose of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories while enjoying a perfect summers beverage. Herbal medicine that works great and tastes even better.
BENEFITS OF WILD BLOOM BOTANICALS’ GOLDEN MILK BLEND:
- Turmeric: a powerful, anti-inflammatory superstar root. Considered the best medicine in Ayurveda and cures the whole person. Can be used by all doshas and won’t cause imbalances. Revered for decreasing inflammation, joint pain, headaches, stress, anxiety, and uplifting the mood. Helps digestion, maintains flora of the intestine, reduces gas, contains tonic properties and is an antibiotic. I find that I consume some form of turmeric root almost every single day as it makes me feel unstoppable. Note: people with hypoglycemia can use it in small amounts in cooking but should not take it in large quantities. Gentle reminder: turmeric root and powder stains your clothes and skin! Rinse immediately to reduce any stains that can last for days (I typically don’t have a problem with turmeric staining… everything’s so temporary and transient!)
- Ceylon (true) cinnamon: helps balance blood sugar (note that common cassia cinnamon does not boast the same medicinal properties). Boosts circulation and digestion and prevents heart attacks due to its blood thinning properties.
- Cardamom: helps regulate blood pressure and improve digestion. Good for cough, respiratory issues, hemorrhoids and burning urination. Improves flavour of food.
- Black pepper: contains naturally occurring piperine which is a bioavailability enhancer that helps with the cellular absorption and effectiveness of curcumin (and more of turmeric’s whole, beneficial constituents) by up to 2,000%, synergistically destroying cancer cells and more. I prefer to consume complete black pepper and turmeric over anything isolated in capsule form.
- Ashwagandha: also known as Indian ginseng. A potent Jing herb that boosts stamina and immunity, stabilises the HPA axis, supports meditation and yoga, promotes fertility, reduces stress, anxiety and depression, a powerful antioxidant that supports the thyroid and regulates the body in mysterious ways. It’s a beneficial adaptogenic herbal boost that makes this particular golden milk blend truly stand out from the rest.
- Coconut milk powder: healthy fats to the rescue! Coconut is a large part of my life and it’s one of the ingredients that I’d miss the most if at some point complete food localism prevails around here in the northern hemisphere. The beneficial, synergistic properties of turmeric and black pepper can be potentiated easier when consumed with a generous source of healthy fats.
Recipe by Root To Sky Kitchen
Large mason jar
Fine mesh strainer
- 2-3 cups filtered or spring water
- 2 inches fresh organic ginger, finely minced or grated with a Microplane frozen is ok too
- juice of 1/2 freshly squeezed organic blood orange
- 2 tbsp raw organic apple cider vinegar with the 'mother'
- 1 tbsp Wild Bloom Botanicals golden milk blend
- 1 tbsp organic maple syrup or more, as needed
- 1/8 tsp sea salt for the minerals
- 1/4 tsp organic vanilla bean - optional
- chilled sparkling mineral water, for serving also for the minerals
- filtered or spring water ice cubes, for serving - optional
Fill up the large mason jar with spring water – this should be about 2-3 cups.
To the jar, add the ginger, blood orange juice, apple cider vinegar, Wild Bloom Botanicals golden milk blend, maple syrup, sea salt and vanilla bean, if using. Cover the jar with a tight fitting lid and shake.
Steep the mixture covered overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, strain the liquid with a fine mesh strainer and top with chilled sparkling mineral water and ice. Enjoy!